Monday, March 16, 2009

Day One:


It all happened so fast. 5 hours ago I was at home, with Mother, and Concepcion. It was just another average day, with me, picking bananas off the trees to feed my family. Then, all of a sudden, they came for us. They, the revolutionaries, came for me, Lolo, and Ignacio. My worst nightmare, the thing I have feared ever since Concepcion’s incident, now was coming true. I, Uno, a 12 year old boy, was to be drafted into fighting for the Revolutionaries. I am to be taught to take lives. I am to be taught to take away fathers and sons from families. I can’t, and I won’t. I know how much mother loves me, and how much she cares about me. For me to die would be so hard for her, her delicate heart couldn’t bear the pain. Yet, here I am…
My only option – ESCAPE
Of course, that is probably easier said than done. Whilst making our way here by truck, I noticed that there were sentries everywhere. If you couldn’t see one patrolling the road, they’re probably up in the jungle somewhere, waiting for any intruder to cross the line. The fortress itself gets worse. There are people everywhere. But most importantly, they almost all possess guns. Weather they are eating, or in the watchtowers, there are guns. I understand I shouldn’t fear them. Or should I? These are the revolutionaries. They are on my side right?

No comments:

Post a Comment